Tips & resources for teachers
L-Pub is committed to providing language learners of all ages with engaging content and useful technology to facilitate learning. We also aim to make teachers’ lives easier! Explore our current products for use in the classroom and beyond – plus our tips on how to use them.
StoryPlanet is an app available for German and English that helps learners dive deep into authentic texts. The app provides disambiguated, target language definitions for highlighted words – and the ability to create individualized exercises based on the sentences in the story.
Target learning levels: A2-C1 (Intermediate to Superior)
If you represent a large school district, or a school with a large number of language learners, contact us about creating a version of StoryPlanet specifically suited to your needs (e.g. school branding, specific content, etc.).
If your learners do not have smartphones or for any other reason cannot get the app, 20 of the stories in the app are also available as an e-book.
Learn more about StoryCorner Collection
StoryPlanet is an ideal self-learning tool, because it takes the frustration out of reading. Because the mini-stories in the free daily broadcast are very short (200-300 words), there are a variety of ways they can be used interactively in the classroom:
- Dictation: Put learners into small groups (2-5 learners). One person reads one chapter of a mini-story out loud, sentence by sentence. The other learners write the words down. They can ask questions but not about the spelling. When the chapter is finished they compare notes and mark the words that were most difficult. Then the roles change and the next person dictates.
- Dramatization: On Thursday, the second to the last chapter of each mini-story arrives in the app. Have your learners form small groups and talk about how they think the story will end tomorrow. After 5 minutes preparation, they act out their version of the last chapter (approx. 1 minute skit). On Friday, you talk about the real ending and if you think your own version was better.
- Writing contest: Give your learners 5 sentences and, as homework, have them each write a story that includes the 5 sentences, one per chapter of a mini-story with 200-300 words (like the mini-stories in StoryPlanet). It will be amazing the wide variety of stories they come up with based on he same sentences. Ask a few of your learners to present their stories. You can also have everyone present their stories and then give away awards for “Funniest”, “Most Creative”, “Sweetest”, “Weirdest” etc.
vobot German is an iOS app with a full learner’s dictionary plus vocabulary trainer. The app includes over 30,000 German words with translations into English, as well as nearly 100,000 sample sentences so learners can always practice vocabulary in an authentic context.
Target learning levels: A1-B2 (Novice to Advanced). Learn more about vobot German
While vobot is an ideal self-study app, there are a number of ways it can be integrated in the classroom or used for homework. Download our vobot German Teacher’s Guide for a few inspiring suggestions from our staff.
The App Store offers qualifying educational organizations the possibility to buy volume licenses of 20 or more at a 50% discount. This is where you can apply for the program: https://volume.itunes.apple.com/store
Once you are enrolled in Apple’s Volume Purchase Program for Education you can purchase discounted licenses of vobot here: http://apple.co/22pGPyK
Over 8,000 hand-drawn illustrations were created by BAFTA award-winning designer Tim Fernée for this animated short of “Little Red Riding Hood”. True to the original Grimm version, yet with simplified and modernized German.
Target learning levels: A1-B2 (Novice to Advanced). Learn more about the Rotkäppchen film and how to purchase it.
Have you already purchased our Rotkäppchen für Deutschlerner DVD? Here you’ll find a range of classroom and homework materials to help simplify your lesson planning. All materials are available as:
- a Teacher Guide for three levels (Novice, Intermediate, Advanced), which contain a short walk-through for all homework and classwork
- In-class exercise sheets
- Homework sheets
- Rotkäppchen texts (e.g. film transcript, original 1850 version)
Covering nearly all learning levels, the classroom and homework materials make the video easy to use, even for beginning teachers. The following level-specific materials are available:
- Novice (A1-A2): Focus on comprehension (reading, listening), simple grammar (Präsens), vocabulary building
- Intermediate (A2-B1): Focus on production (speaking, writing), introduction to Märchen as a genre
- Advanced (B1-B2): Focus on a deeper investigation of the genre, comparison with the original, cross-language mediation (translation)
Experienced teachers may choose to adapt the prepared materials as they please or create their own materials from the transcript and other texts provided.
Click below for the materials you need:
If you have any questions about the materials or you would like to order the Rotkäppchen für Deutschlerner DVD, please write us an e-mail using our contact form.