Engaging stories to build EFL/EAL vocabulary
StoryPlanet is a reading and learning app for learners who have intermediate to advanced knowledge of English (approx. B1) and are trying to break through to the next level (B2 & beyond). We help them overcome barriers to reading in a foreign language with very short stories and in-context definitions of difficult words. No advertising! No registration! No storage of personal data! Learners can try it out for free with our three sample stories.
Get students excited about reading
Imagine your learners having fun building up their English vocabulary! They will with the reading and learning app StoryPlanet English. They read stories, get context-specific definitions for tricky words and then dive deep into the vocabulary that’s relevant to them.
Try the app out for yourself! Click a button to download the app to your phone or tablet:
How it works
Access to our full library of over 120 stories can be purchased in the app for a one-time fee of apporx. €14 (price varies depending on country, taxes & exchange rate).
What kind of stories are in the app?
The mini-stories in StoryPlanet are modern, quirky and full of personality. They have been written by experienced writers who are also avid readers and language learners (learn more about our authors). The stories are ultra-short and cover a wide range of genres – from love stories & science fiction to interesting facts & unusual anecdotes from day-to-day life. There’s literally something for everyone! All stories are also appropriate for young readers and people with different cultural backgrounds.
Read a sample story here, an adaptation of Rudyard Kipling’s “How the camel got his hump”.
Your EFL/EAL learners will be more motivated than ever about learning vocabulary, as the app provides a safe space for them to explore and practice.
Contextualized & individualized learning
The people behind StoryPlanet English are language teachers, learners and writers. We know from experience that the best way to build vocabulary is by learning words in a relevant context. The mini-stories in the app provide just that: a relevant (and fun) context. And they’re short! Every story has 5 chapters. It takes a learner about 1 minute to read each chapter.
Anyone can read and learn with our three sample stories in the app for free. Then, with the pro version of the app (approx. €12.99), learners gain access to a whole treasure trove of over 120 original stories in diverse genres.
Step by step to better English
- READ: Your learners choose from different mini-stories. Every story has 5 chapters. It takes about 1 minute to read each chapter.
- GET DEFINITIONS: They can click on any word in bold to get a definition in English that matches the meaning in that context.
- LEARN: They can then save words they don’t know in their personal learning list and practice them in a series of quiz-like exercises.
Ask us about our teacher packages to go with many of our stories.
StoryPlanet makes learning vocabulary much more efficient – because learners focus on what is relevant to them and learn the words in a fun little quiz. Exercises range from multiple-choice to spelling and adapt in difficulty to the learner’s progress.
The app is constantly improving. We think it offers learners a highly individualized way to build their English vocabulary already, but we will be fine tuning it soon with new features like more variety in the types of exercises, audio recordings or filtering stories by genre and reading difficulty.
Awarded 5 stars by the Educational App Store
We were thrilled to have received the top score by the independent reviewers at Educational App Store.
Here is an excerpt from their review:
“With StoryPlanet English on their mobile device, students have the means to practice their English skills wherever they are. The stories read well and expose readers to words and phrases that often prove confusing to English language learners. Collecting new words and phrases into a personalized list for later testing is a useful way of creating a custom revision guide. The tests include multiple-choice and missing-word challenges.”
Read the full review here.
Great offers for teachers
- Stay on top of our latest developments. Subscribe to our StoryPlanet newsletter and get regular tips for classroom activities based around our stories.
- Book a writing workshop! One of the StoryPlanet writers will come into your class (or join by video stream) to give a reading, as well as conduct a writing workshop. It’s a great way to motivate your students to engage more actively with the English language, since listening, reading, speaking and writing skills can all be practiced. Write us an e-mail and ask us for a quote.
- Get a volume license. Instead of having your learners pay, you can purchase the license for them (starting from 10 licenses). Write us an e-mail and ask for a quote.
- Follow us on social media!
Check out our Teacher Area for more information about our offers for educators.