Daily stories to build EFL/EAL vocabulary
Imagine your learners having fun learning vocabulary! They can with the learning app StoryPlanet English. They read stories, get context-specific definitions for tricky words, then dive deep into the vocabulary that’s relevant to them.
Dive deep into English with StoryPlanet
StoryPlanet is an app for learners who have intermediate to advanced knowledge of English (B1/B2) and want to break through to the next level (C1 & beyond) – with entertaining stories in all genres. No advertising! No registration! Discover the full functionality with our sample story for free. Click a button to download the app directly to your mobile:
How it works
One story is free in the app. Purchasing the pro version provides access to our full library of content, including new story content published every day. Subscription to the pro version costs approx. € 1.99/month (depending on country & exchange rate).
Get our teacher’s guide for use with the free sample story in the app.
Download the PDF for free here (no login or signup required).
What kind of stories are in the app?
The mini-stories in StoryPlanet are modern, quirky and full of personality. They have been written by experienced writers who are also avid readers and language learners (learn more about our authors). The stories are ultra-short and cover a wide range of genres – from love stories & science fiction to interesting facts & unusual anecdotes from day-to-day life. There’s literally something for everyone! All stories are also appropriate for young readers and people with different cultural backgrounds.
Read a sample story here, an adaptation of Rudyard Kipling’s “How the camel got his hump”.
Your EFL/EAL learners will be more motivated than ever about learning vocabulary, as the app provides a safe space for them to explore and practice.
Contextualized & individualized learning
The makers of StoryPlanet are language teachers, learners and writers. So they know from experience that the best way to build vocabulary is by learning words in a relevant context. The mini-stories in the app provide just that: a relevant (and fun) context. And they’re short! Every story has 5 chapters. It takes a learner about 1 minute to read each chapter. A new chapter is broadcast every school day, so the story is finished by the end of the week.
Learners dive deep into the new vocabulary with individualized exercises – using the same sentences from the stories, so they learn how to use the words in the right context! StoryPlanet makes learning vocabulary much more efficient – because learners focus on what is relevant to them and learn the words in a fun little quiz. Exercises range from multiple-choice to spelling and adapt in difficulty to the learner’s progress.
Anyone can try reading and learning with StoryPlanet for free, with our sample story. Then, with the pro version of the app (approx. €1.99/month), they unlock the following:
Step by step to better English
- READ: Learners get a short chapter of a new mini-story from Monday to Friday every week. A push notification lets them know when a new chapter has arrived. Or they browse our growing library of stories in all kinds of genres.
- GET DEFINITIONS: Learners click on any word in bold to get a context-specific definition in English.
- LEARN: Learners save words they don’t know in their personal learning list and practice them in a series of quiz-like exercises.
The app is constantly improving. We think it offers learners a highly individualized way to build their English vocabulary already, but we will be fine tuning it soon with new features like more variety in the types of exercises, audio recordings or filtering stories by genre and reading difficulty.
Awarded 5 stars by the Educational App Store
We were thrilled to have received the top score by the independent reviewers at Educational App Store.
Here is an excerpt from their review:
“With StoryPlanet English on their mobile device, students have the means to practice their English skills wherever they are. The stories read well and expose readers to words and phrases that often prove confusing to English language learners. Collecting new words and phrases into a personalized list for later testing is a useful way of creating a custom revision guide. The tests include multiple-choice and missing-word challenges.”
Great offers for teachers
- Stay on top of our latest developments. Subscribe to our StoryPlanet newsletter and get regular tips for classroom activities based around our stories.
- Get our free Teacher’s Guide for the sample story “The Hairy Tomato”. This includes ideas for in-class activities, a homework assignment, the full text of the story and a full vocabulary list (B1 & above).
- Book a writing workshop! One of the StoryPlanet writers will come into your class (or join by video stream) to give a reading, as well as conduct a writing workshop. It’s a great way to motivate your students to engage more actively with the English language, since listening, reading, speaking and writing skills can all be practiced. Write us an e-mail and ask us for a quote.
- Get a volume license. Instead of having your learners pay by the month, you can purchase a year-long license for them (starting from 25 licenses). Write us an e-mail and ask us for a quote.
- Follow us on social media!