When your readers want to look something up in your index or glossary, it usually means paging back and forth. L-Book Lite puts all your reference content in an app, keeping your readers on the page.
Reading digitally has its advantages, but it isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. Yet even readers of paper books will turn to the internet if they want to get further details on something in your text or look up a word they don’t understand.
Why not let them look that information up in reference content that you curate? You probably already have this content in the back of your books or in a file on your computer. Learn more about our Termbase services.
L-Book Lite gives your readers a second window on your content, with a wide range of benefits:
- Puts all your reference content at your reader’s fingertips and easy to find.
- Enables them to browse your reference content with an intuitive search function, similar to Google.
- Provides them with quality additional content, curated by you (i.e. not random content from the internet).
- Lets readers create personalized lists of reference content that they can refer back to at any time.
- If needed, your readers can even turn your texts into learning material with our set of automatically generated exercises. Read more about this learning function further down!
Learning with L-Book Lite
A unique advantage of L-Books is that anything readers look up, they can also practice in a series of automatically generated exercises. The L-Book production process starts with a deep analysis of your text using natural language processing, resulting in a tokenization of every word in the book. This, matched with an L-Pub or your customized termbase, enables us to create exercises out of any sentence.
The reader simply has to choose a word he wants to commit to memory and the sentence will be used to create exercises with increasing difficulty. The exact nature of these exercises will depend on the learning topic, but they typically consist of two types:
- Recognition: The series exercises begins with multiple choice questions based on the selected term, the sentence it appears in and its definition.
- Recollection: The more advanced exercises require the learner to fully retrieve the word from memory (without a choice of possible answers), by showing them only the definition or the sentence with the word omitted.
Since the right answer is stored in the L-Book, we can always give the learner immediate feedback on how they are doing and also gather statistics on their progress, which they and/or an instructor can access at any time.
Who is L-Book Lite for?
L-Book Lite is suitable for any publisher with some form of reference content, which may be technical terms, a complex cast of characters, or historical events.
L-Book Lite is also optimal for corporations and public institutes with significant amounts of reference content, but not the business model of a publisher, i.e. with lots of reading content in a standardized form.
The main attraction of the L-Book Lite is that the format of your reading content makes no difference. Whether your content is on the web, in a printed book, in a PDF or in a classic e-book, your readers can access targeted reference content in our brand neutral L-Reader app or a white label version in your company Corporate Design.
How is L-Book Lite different from Classic & Pro?
L-Book Lite focuses on reference content and personalized learning materials, but does not include the original text to read in full length. It is a practical accompaniment to a reading text, offering customized, text-specific information on a separate screen.
L-Book Classic embeds your reference content directly in the reading environment, making it accessible via in-context links. L-Book Classic does not, however, offer your readers the option create lists or personalized learning materials.
L-Book Pro includes all the benefits of both L-Book Classic and L-Book Lite, i.e. provides readers with in-context reference content as well as the ability to create personalized learning materials.
L-Book Lite is included as a part of the L-Book Pro and L-Book Classic packages, in order to cover readers who do not want to read digitally or who prefer to access certain functionalities on a separate screen. Choosing to only offer L-Book Lite makes most sense for a reference book such as a dictionary or for corporations and public institutes who do not typically sell their reading content.
How does it cost to make an L-Book Lite?
The production costs for an L-Book Lite are calculated based on three variables:
- The number of unique words to be annotated
- The length of your book
- If you deliver the termbase according to specification, or we need to create the termbase ourselves
Check out our ROI calculator to get a rough idea for how many L-Books you need to sell in order to recoup your costs.
Get a quote
Are you interested in transforming some of your content into L-Books? Get in touch so we can start the conversation!
How is an L-Book made? How is an L-Book sold? How is an L-Book read? Get answers to these and other questions on our page “What is an L-Book?”