Language learners at every level are eager to read and understand authentic texts in the language they’re learning. L-Books transform your texts to reach this audience of millions – simply and affordably.
Even if you do not yet have language learners as your target group, if you have content that native speakers love (and that sells well locally), readers from other countries are likely to love it too. You may be well aware of this already through your sales of foreign language licenses. But learners of your language don’t want to read the translation, they want to read the original – and they are a significantly sized group.
Depending on the language your original content is written in, there is a vast number of language learners out there you can reach with an L-Books. In the European Union, the most commonly learned foreign languages are English, French, Spanish and German. It’s a similar picture worldwide, with the addition of Chinese as one of the most popular foreign languages to learn.
Conservative estimates for the German language alone show that at least 15 million people around the world are currently enrolled in courses to learn German. For the other languages, the statistics tend to be higher. This is a significant market you could be reaching with your original language content.
Whatever your content, whatever genre and for whatever age group, if it has been successful among native speakers of your language, chances are it will be popular among learners of your language, too.
Benefits for content owners
Since 2013, L-Pub has been developing a sophisticated backend to support foreign language acquisition when reading authentic texts. This backend includes:
- A multi-lingual termbase
- A comprehensive library of learning tips
- Customized natural language processing in order to analyze a text’s complexity
- The annotation of every word, e.g. with the correct part of speech and its disambiguated meaning
We have partnered with leading language learning publishers to ensure the accuracy and depth of this backend, including Hueber, Ernst Klett Sprachen and PONS. These partnerships mean we can also help content owners connect with the new language learning target group.
Benefits for language learners
L-Books enable language learners to dive deep into foreign language texts – independently and without being overwhelmed. We provide a wide array of useful tools embedded directly in the text with which they can interact at their own discretion.
While many e-readers offer access to standard dictionaries, they are not optimized for language learning for multiple reasons:
- The definitions/translations are not disambiguated, which is highly confusing and frustrating for language learners.
- Calling up definitions/translations often takes the reader out of your book, considerably disturbing the flow of reading.
- No further didactic information is provided to help the reader understand the usage of the word in that context.
- The learner does not have the possibility to save the word to a personalized learning list.
- There is no possibility to commit the new language to memory with automatically generated exercises.
L-Books for foreign language acquisition enable all of these features. Thanks to a customized dictionary integrated into each text, the learner can look up any word or phrase just by selecting it on the screen. They don’t get a list of many possible translations, but a context-specific and accurate one.
At any time, e.g. at the end of a chapter, readers can switch to the learning mode (L-Book Pro) or training app (L-Book Lite) and practice all the new words they’ve collected with a set of automatically generated exercises – always in the same context. It’s a great way for students to keep learning on their own with content that really interests and engages them.
Here’s how it works, step-by-step:
- The learner buys and reads an L-Book in a foreign language, e.g. on their tablet.
- They click on a word or phrase and the correct translation is provided, based on its disambiguated meaning.
- They can also access other reference content if they like.
- If they decide that they want to learn that word or phrase, they can add it to their personalized learning list.
- At any time, they can switch to the learning app or mode, where they can review their learning list and keep an eye on their progress.
- When they click TEST NOW, a set of automatically generated exercises lets them practice the words in their list using the same sentences that they read them in.
- The exercises become increasingly difficult as the learner gets more successful at answering them.
Text analysis and classification
How will the learner know if they’re ready to read a particular book? As a part of the pre-production of every L-Book Pro, L-Pub runs a text analysis that determines certain characteristics of the text, including total number of unique words, average sentence length and the difficult of the words for learners. This helps us classify which CEFR learning level the text would most likely be suitable for.
This information is invaluable when marketing the L-Book, as language learning institutes, teachers and learners will be looking for reading materials suited to certain levels.
What are the production costs?
Since we have a well-established workflow for the production of L-Books for foreign language acquisition, the costs for converting your content are kept at a minimum and you can quickly recoup the expenses. We can quickly calculate the costs after an initial text analysis by our software. The following variables will affect the price:
- The length of your book
- The number of unrecognized words (e.g. book-specific names of people or places) not in our current termbase
- Whether you provide us with definitions and translations of the missing termbase entries according to specification, or we need to create the termbase entries ourselves
To get a better idea of cost variables, try our ROI calculator and also learn how many L-Books you need to sell in order to recoup the production costs.
Try our prototype
Check out our online version of an L-Book Pro for English-speaking learners of German using the original Grimm fairy tale “Little Red Riding Hood”, which has only been slightly adapted for beginning learners.
Get a quote
Are you interested in converting some of your content into L-Books? Get in touch so we can start the conversation!
How is an L-Book made? How is an L-Book sold? How is an L-Book read? Get answers to these and other questions on our page “What is an L-Book?”